Sunday, December 30, 2007

Holiday Getaway

For the past week I've been taking some much needed time off. Time off from work and time off from the internet. The internet part wasn't exactly by choice but I feel refreshed and ready for action. Here is a recap of where I've been and what I've been doing.

Friday December 21st - Day of last blog entry
This was Chris's b'day so after work we met up with Matty and Kara for a birthday happy hour. Then Chris and I went to the Dahlia Lounge for a romantic birthday dinner. Chris had the famous crab cakes and I had the short ribs. We went home stuffed and happy.

December 22nd - Spinners and Whackers
Kara picked me up on Saturday morning and we headed out for Wenatchee. We got a late start and by the time we hit Snoqualmie Pass the snow was really coming down and we had to put chains on her car. They had instituted a chain requirement and checkpoint so we sat in traffic for about 2.5 hours before we were allowed to head over the pass. By the time we passed the checkpoint I was about ready to jump out of the moving car and pee in the woods. Luckily we made it to the rest area at the top of the pass in short order. Then we got back on the road heading down the pass towards Cle Elum. We almost made it to the bottom of the pass when all of a sudden we hit a major patch of ice and even with chains on we began to slide across the road. We spun 180 degrees and proceeded to smash backwards into the guard rail. We were both a little freaked out but we were facing the wrong way on I-90 so Kara got us out of there right quick. Luckily when we stopped to survey the damage at the bottom of the hill we found that the only damage was a missing reflector light and a small scratch on the bumper. We jumped UP AND DOWN screaming "It's a Christmas Miracle". Needless to say we crept our way to Wenatchee and finally made it there about 8 hours after leaving Seattle. By far the longest trip I've ever had over the passes. When I arrived at my parents house we hopped right in the car and headed to Chuck and Janice's house for a delicious holiday meal.

December 23rd
Sunday mom and I shopped and shopped and shopped to finish up her Christmas shopping. We had a fun time and it snowed most of the day. She also introduced me to Quiznos. I'd never eaten there before but I think I might go back again.

December 24th
Chris made his way over the passes on the 24th to join us in Wenatchee. His trip was uneventful and he made it in about 3 hours. Once he arrived we went visiting and delivering gifts to friends around Wenatchee. We went to the Woodwards, the Johnsons and the Dore's. At each house there were holiday libations and snacks. By the time we got home we were stuffed and ready for bed. We stayed up a bit longer and Chris introduced my dad to Wii Golf. He was hooked right away.

December 25th
I was up at 6am to see what Santa brought me but had to wait until Chris finally got up around 8am to open my gifts. We had a nice morning hanging out with the parents, opening gifts and eating a wonderful holiday breakfast. Then we decided to go see Charlie Wilson's War. Pretty good movie and when we came out of the theater it was dumping snow. A perfect White Christmas.

December 26th
Part of the reason that I have been internet free while in Wenatchee was that my parents computer was bogged down with spyware and viruses. I tried and tried to fix it but in the end we decided that since the computer was 10 years old anyway we'd just replace. So, on Wednesday we braved the day after Christmas crowds and got them a new computer, monitor and printer at Costco. We also purchased the Norton security package to hopefully block these issues from happening again. Chris and I spent the afternoon setting up the new computer and getting everything installed. Around 4pm Jeff, Sara and the girls showed up and we had Christmas again. The girls were showered with gifts and had a great time. Then we went to McGlinns for dinner and so that my mother could show off her granddaughters to everyone in town.

December 27th
Thursday we played lots of Wii, went sledding, and had an amazing dinner at my Aunt Cindy and Uncle Gary's house. We had a great holiday family time and again the girls were showered with gifts. All smiles.

December 28th
Chris and I decided to brave the passes on Friday and made our way back to Seattle. Blewett was a bit snowy and icy but the Subaru made it right over. Snoqualmie was dumping rain but no snow and ice. We made it safely home and the kitties were so happy to see us. Our friend Christy did a great job watching them (Thank you!!). Lisa came over to visit on Friday night - I was glad to get a chance to see her while she was in town.

December 29th
Yesterday Chris and I got up early and headed to Olympia to celebrate Christmas with his family. We all met up at the Grandparent's house and enjoyed an afternoon of pizza and presents. The Grandparents were so happy to have us all in their house at once. Afterwards Angie, Brandon, Chris and I decided to check out the new Cabela's store in Lacey. It was insane. It is a hunting and fishing store on steroids. It was way too crowded and busy for me to enjoy. Chris was loving it. Then we headed home and played our new Christmas Wii games until it was bedtime.

Well, there is the recap. A fun holiday week of friends and family. I'm so glad I took the time to enjoy it.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

© 2006 - 2010 Courtney Jones House - All Rights Reserved.