Tuesday, September 16, 2008

2008 Seattle Breast Cancer 3-Day - Day 2 Recap

Day 2 started even earlier then Day 1 for me. I woke up at 4am and I was freezing. Whose idea was it to camp outside in mid-September. Sure the days are nice and hot, but boy does it get chilly in the night! If only Angie had let me cuddle up with her *grins*. Luckily I had brought a heat wrap with me so I threw that puppy on and ventured out to see what was going on. After grabbing some breakfast and getting dressed the sun finally began to rise and we were ready to hit the road.

As usual we had to get all of our Hottie swag on before we could hit the trail.

We took off from Marymoor, past the Whole Foods Market where we had held our 5% day WAY BACK IN MARCH. Seems so long ago, probably because it was! Then we continued on through downtown Redmond where many of the businesses had signs of support out for us.

Again we saw many sights along the way including this bike that belonged to a crew member there to help us cross the streets safely.

And this mother and daughter walking together.

And pretty soon we were back on the Sammamish River Trail, this time heading towards Kirkland.

Again we walked, and walked, and walked some more. I was feeling pretty tired after my breakdown the day before and not sleeping very well during the night. Not wanting another breakdown, when we reached Grab-and-Go A I decided that maybe I should take the bus to lunch. Angie took off walking and I walked over to the bus. I asked the woman how long until the bus left for lunch. She told me it would leave as soon as it was full. There were quite a few other people coming over to the bus so I figured it wouldn't be too long and sat down to take my shoes off.

I tended to the few blisters that I had acquired and put on my Keen sandals to air my feet out. Pretty soon the bus crew lady walked over to me and told me that she'd just gotten a call. The bus would be staying at the Grab-and-Go until 1pm and would not be going to lunch. I was confused and heartbroken. But, I stood up, got my gear together, filled up my water reservoir, left my Keens on, and prepared to walk the 2.4 miles to lunch.

Lucky for me I ran into Barry. Barry is amazing. He's walking all 14 of the walks this year and he has to raise $31,000 in order to do so (so far he has raised about $15,000 so if you're looking for something amazing to donate to, think about donating to Barry!). Barry was in Seattle to walk with the Warming Hut Hotties. I told him what had happened with the bus and asked if he would walk with me to lunch, and he did. We walked, and talked, and sang the Hottie cadence, and before I knew it we were at lunch. And I was BEAT!

After lunch I gathered up 5 other Warming Hut Hotties who were also done for the day, mostly due to blisters and fatigue, and we hopped on the bus and headed back to camp. After we showered and grabbed a soda we all gathered on the grass by the end of the course to cheer in the other walkers. We sat there for 4 hours cheering in probably 2,000 walkers. It was so fun to see all of the amazing outfits and signs, the smiles and the tears. And we cheered in our fellow Hotties!

After our entire team was in for the day we headed over to dinner and got ready for the dance party. During dinner two survivors got up and told their stories. They were both courageous and really made it hit home exactly what we were out there to do. Then they held the finals for the 3-day Rockstar competition. I had missed the first round the night before so it was really fun to catch the last 3 acts. And then, the dance party. You would think after walking over 40 miles in two days no one would want to get up and dance on Saturday night. But almost everyone gets up to dance on Saturday night!!

And then, already again, it was time to head off to bed. Only 1 more day left!

1 comment:

Sean (Sliptide) said...

I find it highly amusing you took a picture of the Pancake House sign.. it killed me to have to walk by w/out stopping in for some grub!!!!

Even though we had to call it quits for the day (which was a big deal for me.. but I had to put it all in perspective), it was SO cool to be able to cheer everyone else along the final steps of day #2.


© 2006 - 2010 Courtney Jones House - All Rights Reserved.