Friday, March 02, 2007

Crisis Averted

So I'm addicted to my pedometer. I wear it every day. My goal is to walk/run/stride/dance over 15,000 steps 4 days a week and over 10,000 steps the remaining 3 days a week. Some days I go crazy and log 20,000 steps. Some days I get mad at myself for only getting to 8,000. Today I encountered a crisis.

I've had many pedometers (one of which is somewhere on the bottom of Puget Sound - long story), but my current pedometer, the Omron HJ-112 Digital Premium Pedometer is by far my favorite. Its incredibly accurate, has a 7 day memory, tells you how far you've gone and how many calories you've burned.

Today I left the house early so that I could get in some extra steps. Typically my walk to the bus takes about 2,500 steps, but I wanted to add an extra 1,000 since it is Friday and I wouldn't be going to the gym. I was pretty proud of myself when I got to the bus and pulled off my pedometer to see what I was at. Bam!!! There was nothing showing on my pedometer but a blinking low batter light. I was horrified. I had no idea how many steps I'd gone! (Actually I know almost exactly how many I've gone because my obsessive compulsiveness causes me to count when I'm walking). But oh my gosh, I was in shock, I was scared, I was upset, and I had to formulate a plan fast! As soon as the bus hit downtown I jumped off and ran to the nearest Bartells where the nice lady Sheila at the photo counter got out a set of small screw drivers and opened the back of my precious pedometer. In the span of 5 minutes she got the cover off, located a new battery, removed the old one, inserted the new one, charged me $3.99 and sent me on my way. Sheila is my hero for the day.

Sadly my pedometer will read about 4,000 steps too few today. I'll have to go for a long walk at lunch to make it up.

If you're interested in becoming a pedometer convert read this book Manpo-Kei: The Art and Science of Step Counting and this one The Step Diet: Count Steps, Not Calories to Lose Weight and Keep It off Forever.

No comments:

© 2006 - 2010 Courtney Jones House - All Rights Reserved.